Gas Safety - Carbon Monoxide

This blog is about gas safety and this article about carbon monoxide and is written in hope that everyone becomes more aware about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Only through learning can we begin to understand the real dangers associated with CO poisoning and actually take it seriously.

The problem, not just with the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning, but also other risks is that most people do not believe things will happen to them. What we must understand is that there are around 40 or 50 deaths that are attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning every year. On top of these deaths, there are also other injuries and complications that arise from CO poisoning. As deaths occur with fairly high concentrations of the gas, other symptoms can occur at lower levels or at a shorter exposure time.

When carbon monoxide gas is being released into the air, it can do so at different levels which is the air/CO density. It does take a very high density of CO in air to be deadly, just over 1% infact. When these levels that polute the air are lower than symptoms such as headaches and nausea can be felt. More often than not, people will not even know they are being poisoned. They will put nausea and headaches down to other things such as tiredness, stress and or even having caught a bug like flu. If the concentration of carbon monoxide in the air reach a little higher then the symptoms will get worse, such as unconciousness or the effected person will begin to feel the effects of poisoning a lot faster then at lower levels of gas.

As carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and cannot be seen, it is one of those gases which you will not know is there. This is the reason that it is so deadly - it has life threatening properties but is not possible to trace without some kind of device to help detect it.

It will usually be released into the atmosphere by way of some fuel burning appliance. This fuel burning appliance can be one that burns gas, coal, oil, wood or any other for that matter. It is also produced by motor vehicles and is emitted from the exhaust. As most people will either own a car or have a fuel burning appliance present in there home, then the majority of people are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For the majority of the time and for most people these fuel burning appliance will operate in the correct way, especially if they are serviced at the correct intervals by an engineer with the correct gas safe credentials. However, on occasions,  the appliance or some part of it may well become faulty which, depending upon the fault, may result in carbon monoxide being exposed into the air. There are a few reasons why an appliance may emit carbon monoxide fumes but the main one would be incomplete combustion. This happens when an appliance is not burning correctly, for which can be for various reasons, such as incorrect ventilation or some kind impingement on the flame. Ensuring that appliances are correctly serviced at regular intervals will help define any potential problems.

Of course, with motor vehicles, they will always emit carbon monoxide from their exhausts and care will be needed when a joining garage is attached to the family home. Always ensure there are no passageways from the garage to the house for carbon monoxide to follow and enter into. For most people, carbon monoxide poisoning from a car either entering or leaving a garage will not be a problem because it is only for a short amount of time.

The majority of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning are a result of some appliance in the home not working correctly, whether it be because it has not be checked or serviced or a problem was missed or has just arisen. As there is no way in which to detect this CO gas in the air that we breath then the only solution is to have a device installed that will read any carbon monoxide in the air. There are many type of these devices, named carbon monoxide detectors or alarms but all of them essentially do the same job. That is to alert you when carbon monoxide is detected in the air. Most of them will alert you by an alarm sound, much like a smoke alarm.

It is safe to say, that a carbon monoxide detector installed in the home is potentially a life saver and one device that every household should own.

 

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you have any concerns regarding gas safety, regardless of how minor they could seem to be, make sure you phone the correct emergency service. They are available 24 hours a day and should be called immediately.

When it comes to carbon monoxide, you could possibly become consciousness and die in the event of a leak. If CO gas is leaking, it is generally as a result of malfunctioning equipment, Ensure you do not function that equipment until it's been appropriately serviced by qualified personnel and find out more about the dangers of carbon monoxide

When it builds up, a substantial amount of CO gas can cause victims to become mentally confused, and will reduce muscle usage as well as milder indications, there are serious consequences and victims could die if not removed for the area immediately.

When dealing with carbon monoxide leaks, the most important thing is to depart the house  –  if any symptoms are felt, there is likely to be a carbon monoxide leak in your home.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious problem and you may well want to get more information about its dangers and how to counteract them..

Lots of states and local jurisdictions now ensure CO alarms are being put in in to residences. Take time to become familiar with your local officials to learn about the necessities of you area.

Local retail store prices of carbon monoxide alarms range from £10 to £30 as there are different styles with various options, depending on what suits you.

When it comes to gas safety, if an engineer, upon doing their tests, finds any faults, you will be given a report. The Gas Safety person will notify the utilities and you of the results on the onsite analysis and recommend any corrections. If anything is immediately dangerous then the gas supply will need to be disconnected..

The most important thing you can do to protect from carbon monoxide is to install carbon monoxide alarms in the correct places and let them do the job for you.